Underrated Short Stories Teaching Guides
We've all read and maybe even taught short stories by Edgar Allan Poe, Nathaniel Hawthorne, Kate Chopin and other famous authors. But here are 5 short stories that I have put in the underrated category.
Although they appear often in high school literature anthologies, they don't get nearly the run they deserve on the best short stories lists.
- "Contents of the Dead Man's Pocket" by Jack Finney
- "Leiningen vs. the Ants" by Carl Stephenson
- "A White Heron" by Sarah Orne Jewett
- "The Rocking Horse Winner" by D.H. Lawrence
- "Through the Tunnel" by Doris Lessing
Each unit contains lesson plans, graphic organizer handouts with answer keys, essay rubrics, a summary and analysis of the story, discussion ideas, a quiz, and oh so much more.
We Also Recommend